Discover Vernon Hills
Click to Home
Go To Search
Vacation House Watches
police guyKeeping An Eye Out
Like most other police agencies in other communities, the Vernon Hills Police Department will check your home periodically while you are away. This is a free service for the residents of Vernon Hills. There are just a few rules:
  • The request for a house watch can only come from the homeowner.
  • House watch requests in excess of 14 days will be conducted on a weekly basis instead of a daily basis.
  • We cannot conduct house watches for apartments or units that share a common door entryway to multiple units.
  • We will not conduct house watches if the home owner has someone staying in the house.

How to Request a Watch
To request a house watch, all you need to do is contact the police department before you leave. You can do this in a couple of ways:

1) Call the police department at 847-362-4449 (press 1, then 5)
2) Print out a Vacation House Watch Request Form (below) and fax it to the Department at 847-549-8028.

NOTE:  House watch requests are handled Monday thru Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.  Requests received after 3 p.m. will be processed the next business day. Thus, if at all possible, please allow sufficient time for your request.  

The request form is available for download in two formats:
  • Microsoft Word - Just type in your info, print it out and fax it in or drop it off.
  • PDF File - Print out the form, fill it in, fax in/drop it off.

Additional Information
When planning your vacation, don't forget to visit our Vacation Security page to learn how you can protect your home while you are gone.