The Vernon Hills Police department has several full-time Community Service Officers, commonly referred to as CSOs. A CSO is a civilian (non-sworn) Department employee whose work includes responsibility for a variety of quasi law enforcement and general support activities. A CSO's work includes the enforcement of animal and parking violations, as well as the investigation of minor traffic crashes on private property and calls for general public service assistance. A CSO also:
- Assists with traffic control duties at the scene of a traffic crash.
- Investigates animal complaints including the apprehension and transport of stray or vicious animals. Read about the Vernon Hills animal ordinances.
- Assists disabled motorists.
- Assists motorists locked out of their vehicles.
- Patrols the village, looking for criminal activity, safety hazards and persons needing assistance.
A CSO's work involves considerable public contact, often under difficult circumstances.