- Police Department
DUTIES:The Vernon Hills Police Department Telecommunications Center provides both police and fire dispatch services. Police dispatch services are coordinated by the Vernon Hills Police Department, which provides services for the Villages of Libertyville, Lincolnshire, and Vernon Hills, as well as the monitoring, receipt and transmission of emergency and non-emergency police messages. In addition, the position involves the monitoring and operating of electronic building security systems; providing general information to the public; and the performance of incidental clerical duties.
This position involves a high level of communication during emergency and non- emergency situations which require the ability to communicate effectively and to employ selective attention in an environment with a variety of distractions. In addition, the individual must possess the ability to perform job duties in a confidential manner. Click here for a full job description.
REQUIREMENTS:The following requirements must be met:
- Graduation from high school or GED
- Minimum of one to three years experience in public safety dispatch required
- Accurate typing ability (minimum 30 words per minute)
- Possess the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and conduct themselves accordingly under stressful situations.
- Passage of a pre-employment physical examination and drug test (at the Village’s expense).
- Successful completion of a twelve-month probationary period.
SALARY:Appointment is normally made at the first (entry) step of the range. Candidates must be willing to work all shifts. See below for additional benefits.
APPLICATION PROCESS:Application forms may be obtained from the Vernon Hills Police Department, 740 Lakeview Parkway, Vernon Hills, IL 60061, (847) 362-4449 or online.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- $52,709 - $71,310
- Shift Differential Pay - Telecommunicators work either an 8-hour shift or a 12-hour shift with every other weekend (Friday through Sunday) off, based on seniority. Telecommunicators receive additional compensation for working nights.
- Insurance Package (Life - Health - Dental)
- Vacation Time:
- 2 weeks first year
- 3 weeks after fifth year
- 4 weeks after ten years
- 4 Paid Personal Days Per Year
- 9 Paid Holidays Per Year
- Annual Uniform Allowance
- Monthly Dry Cleaning Allowance
- Tuition Reimbursement Program