Diversity and Inclusion
Mission and Vision of the Village
The Village has the mission of being dedicated to the delivery of municipal services in a responsive, professional, and proficient manner. The vision for our community is for Vernon Hills to be a safe, aesthetically appealing, fiscally viable, family-oriented community with excellent educational, social, recreational, and cultural opportunities fostering a strong and diverse residential and business community with concern for ecological stewardship and cooperation with other governmental bodies and agencies.
In reflection of our mission and community expectations; the Village seeks an external review of policies and practices in relation to the delivery of services and opportunities, to ensure an equitable, consistent, and just environment is achieved. At the September 1, 2020 Village Board Meeting, Ordinance #2020-096 was approved authorizing a Diversity and Inclusivity consultancy for the Village of Vernon Hills.
Scope of Services
- Internal inventory and external assessment and review of Village and Department policies and practices, (Recruitment, Promotion, BOFPC Rules, Village Rules/Practices, Adoption of Shared Principles, VHPD Engagement Strategies, etc.).
- Review of correlations between workforce and community demographics.
- Facilitate meetings with Village and Department Staff regarding community expectations for Inclusion and Diversity within Village government.
- Facilitate and support community engagement as needed; special projects, and development of Village Inclusion and Diversity Vision Statement.
- Provide updates, suggested improvements and final report to the Village Board / community.
Schedule / Updates
This consultancy is scheduled to commence October 1, 2020 with a review of Village policies and practices to be conducted. Consultant will meet with managers and department personnel, Village commissions, observe processes, and provide updates to the Board and community. A formal report will be presented prior to July 2021.
- December 7, 2020 – Presentation to the Village Board regarding preliminary observations on how policy is developed and periodically reviewed by staff, legal counsel, and professional service providers; BOFPC processes to include Officer selection process; and correlations between workforce and community demographics.
- Written preliminary summary of findings to date
- Public Comment – Should persons desire to comment on the Village’s commitment and efforts to ensure consistency and equity in the delivery of services, equal opportunity in the workplace, or has a suggestion on improving policy and practices that support diversity and inclusion, please email Dr. Bryan Watkins at firstname.lastname@example.org. Persons who share their information will be contacted by Dr. Bryan Watkins. The Public Comment period will be from January 21 to March 12, 2021.