Skunk Abatement Program
The Village of Vernon Hills is partnering with homeowners to reduce the overall skunk population within the Village. The Program is designed to provide financial reimbursement to homeowners who choose to work with licensed wildlife control companies to remove skunks from their properties. This does not apply to residents belonging to multi-family homes and HOA's.
The Program will operate as follows, as outlined on the Skunk Abatement Reimbursement Form
- Homeowners must enter into a contract for services from a licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator. The names of companies can be found on a link later on this webpage and on the IL DNR webpage. The contract must include the placement and monitoring of traps and the cost of skunk removal from individual residential properties.
- Any costs in the contract related to inspection of the property, trap set-up and monitoring, home repairs needed to mitigate dens, etc. will be the responsibility of the homeowner.
- If a trap is set by the Operator and captures a skunk, the Village will reimburse the homeowner up to a maximum of $75 for each skunk trapped or the removal price quoted in the contract, whichever is less.
- The Village will not reimburse residents for the costs of trapping any other wildlife. Homeowners are encouraged to talk with their chosen operator to clarify how they will be billed for this activity.
- To request reimbursement, the following information must be submitted to the Community Development Department at Village Hall:
•An completed reimbursement request form from the homeowner; and,
•A copy of the contract between the homeowner and the Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator; and,
•A copy of the receipt documenting the date of the skunk removal and the cost for each Skunk.
- The Village will process the requested reimbursement. Homeowners should expect to receive their reimbursement within 30 days of receipt of all documentation.
- The Village will also reimburse homeowners who, in the past several months, have removed skunks. Homeowners can request reimbursement for skunks removed.. The documentation required for reimbursement as setforth above applies.
The Village will continue to operate their respective removal program on public properties.
Questions on this Program?
Contact the Village of Vernon Hills Community Development Department at 847-367-3700.
For more information regarding skunk control and prevention and a list of trapping services please click here.